Whether found in a shop, as loot from a fight, in a chest in some dungeon, or simply in a pile of rubble on the side of a road. There are some very impressive items to be found in Dungeons of Chaos, some rarer than others. And they can come combined with powerful attributes and also very rare and special conditions.
Post your most precious (or odd) find here and where you found it !
Note: some items in the game are always in the same place, some are partially randomised, and 99% of items are in fact totally random. The game engine only dictates minimum and maximum number of items and the range of item value, plus occasionally a few other characteristics. The loot found when defeating an ORC for example is 90% chance of being an item suitable for a fighter, and 10% any other item (resembling his own looted possessions). In general, if you want to find loot that suits a certain player of yours (for example a mage), fight enemies that are of a similar class (like orc mages, undead wizard, lich…).
A bit on the theory of ITEMS in Dungeons of Chaos:
Each item consists of: PREFIX + CONDITION + ITEM + SUFFIX which also shows in the name. If the prefix, condition, suffix is BLANK/NORMAL than nothing shows in the item name. If it is something else, but the item is not identified, a ?? will show. So a ‘brutal ancient warhammer of VAR’ if unidentified will show as ‘?? ?? warhammer ??’ in your inventory.
There are currently:
– over 200 types of items
– over 60 prefixes
– over 60 suffixes
– over 20 item conditions
Most but not all combinations are allowed. For example: a BOW can not have the condition BENT (‘bent’ for other weapons means a bit less damage, accuracy and value). A RING will usually not have the prefix BRUTAL (+damage etc.) as that prefix is common for weapons only. Please note though this is only a hard rule for randomised loot. Special items can have any properties I see fit, so special quest rewards or finds in the future could be a lifestealing, damage boosting, range-of-your-bow-extending amulet. But you bet it will be hard to get…
Conditions are a bit less obvious as to their impact, but usually they only alter the characteristics an item already has: damage, accuracy and range for weapons; or AC for armor. However, which can be of even greater importance, conditions drive the price and also drive the potency of the item. ‘Potency’ is a hidden concept. You will never see the potency of an item displayed, but when an item gets created the condition is determined first because the nature of the item plus the condition it has determines the potency, which is used as a requirement for prefix and suffix selection. Without going into too much detail, the suffix “of the SOULSUCKER” requires a VERY potent item and condition. It is also so rare and of such value that you will not be able to find it in Chapter 1.
I plan to introduce item enhancements in a later chapter, which allows you to take an item and present it for example to a deity at an altar to have it enhanced. You would need items that have enough potency left to do that. so while you will be able to enhance items that already have a prefix/suffix, the item would need to have the required remaining potency for the enhancement. As a rule of thumb, higher value means higher potency. And finely crafted jewelry (rings, amulets) tend to have much more potency than items designed for everyday use (weapons/armor), although there are some weapons and armor around that clearly have also been designed with potency in mind…
Items also have class restrictions. A cleric will not wield a warhammer. period. Such restrictions may contradict depictions of such classes in other RPGs. These are mine, live with it.